Maggie's Reviews > Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World

Train Go Sorry by Leah Hager Cohen

Jan 14, 12

bookshelves: bookcrosser-s-gift, non-fiction
Read from January 06 to 13, 2012

Rating 4.5. These days, one of the reasons I read is to learn. I hope that whether the book is fiction or non-fiction it will give me insight into something I'm ignorant of. This book definitely delivered.

Using a school in New York, which the author has a connection to, and the faces of staff, students, and her own education within the deaf community, Leah Cohen helped educate me about the challenges, education, medical aids, politics, and triumphs of the deaf.

This book was always interesting, often fascinating, sometimes touching, and a bit sad. Some of the quotes I marked:

"It took a moment for the meaning of her broad, bluntly formed syllables to sink in. As a young deaf woman, she had been judged unfit, incapable even of naming her own children."

"And because deaf children do not acquire an aural, spoken language naturally -- they must be taught ever minute element that hearing children absorb effortlessly -- they are sent to school with no language system at all. A bit of English and a few crude homemade signs were the only tools that most of my classmates possessed for making sense of the world."

On Cochlear implants: "During implantation, the tiny hairs of the inner ear that normally activate the auditory nerve get torn and crushed. Once this has happened, the effects are irreversible; even if the device is removed, any residual hearing that might have existed will have been obliterated. So if the implant is unsuccessful -- the definition of success including not only healthy recovery from surgery but also learning how to interpret speech from the implant's electrical signals by working with rehabilitation specialists, who may include audiologists, speech-language pathologists, psychologists, and educators -- the child worn't ever be able to benefit from a regular hearing aid."

"The National Association of the Deaf rejects the representation of deaf people as having an impairment; it characterizes them instead as having enhanced vision. If we lived in a society that did not regard hearing people as the norm, these differences might not constitute deprivations. In fact, in a society that regarded deafness as the norm, it is likely that hearing people would be at a disadvantage. But hearing people dominate our society; it is hearing people' gaze that determines reality. Within this reality, deaf people are disabled."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Train Go Sorry.