Lisa's Reviews > Gone, Baby, Gone

Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: suspense

Although I think Lehane is a writer of great precision and occasional beauty, I found this book too brutal. I was distracted by having stepped into the series in the middle, thus missed lots of references made to earlier books. I may try beginning at the first book, but perhaps I won't. I don't mind confronting ugliness and gore in the service of learning something valuable about injustice -- but Lehane seems to just write about futility and has a very low opinion of his fellow man. I don't think that low opinion is based on personal experience, either. My gut feeling is that Lehane writes to a cynical, nihilistic audience and gives them what they expect. But in gorgeous language.

I am not persuaded by his characters, either. Kenzie feels terrible about what he witnesses in terms of crimes against children, but does he learn anything? Can he change? Can he respond? And Gennaro walks out on him because he doesn't seem able to do any of those things, but I didn't really care. She is not very well drawn (a pet peeve of mine among male writers). She's basically a tough talking dame with a good body -- a stereotype, in other words -- thus her departure didn't break my heart anyway... Hmmm... maybe I won't read more in this series, after all.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone, Baby, Gone.

12/27/2011 page 200
53.0% "Lehane is such a beautiful writer -- it's odd in a Suspense novel. But great."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica Scott He did learn something. It shows that at the end when helene didnt change. U could feel that he learned

Patti I am just about finished with it and I agree about Angie. All she really does is talk tough, have a hot body (as allllllll the men need to comment on...do men really do that? Or just not do it to me?!) and smoke.