Brittanie's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Jan 07, 12

Read from December 26, 2011 to January 07, 2012

** spoiler alert ** (2012—2/52) I've wanted to read this for a while, mainly because of the discussions I've read on it. I am currently 75 pages or so in, and thought I find myself eager to get back to the story, so far I'm unimpressed, and even a little annoyed, at Gaiman's use of language. This book reads like a simplistic dimestore detective novel. I realize maybe there is a reason for this, as it's becoming clear to me that the mythological concepts the book is leading up to addressing are pretty complex, but still. I am not a dumb reader and I hate being treated like one.

Finished (SPOILERS): Wasn't crazy about this book. It was compelling enough but the writing still felt like a detective novel and not formal fiction. Even if you're a fantasy writer, writing a fantasy novel, your fantasy world still has to have rules, and you as the author still have to stick to those rules. You can present mystery upon mystery for the characters and the readers over 500 pages of work, and then sum up those mysteries by saying "this is just the way things are" with no reasoning or explanation.

That said, the absolute best parts of this book are the interludes where ancillary characters explain how various gods were carried to America by their believers. I could read a whole book of anecdotes like those.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Scott Mcj Heh. You make a good point; as much as I -loved- the novel, you made me remember feeling that same irritation when Gaiman tried to write Shadow at the beginning. Don't worry -- he soon gives up on trying to portray the prison tough guy and the book gets wonderfully epic.

Phire Agreed. Found the lore much more interesting than the story.