Marina's Reviews > The Boy Behind the Red Door

The Boy Behind the Red Door by John  Goode

Dec 28, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: queerlit, contemporary, romance, holiday, adult-fiction
Read in December, 2011

I will read almost any story where the main character returns home and gets together with a secret crush. I'm a sucker for them.

This had the familiar premise. The beginning was too repetitive, and the main character came off as a huge, bitchy, douchebag. Rude to his friends, rude to his family, complains about everything... and there was no change of heart or apologies. He's the same asshat at the end. The bit with the video game console was utterly pretentious.

Then he finally gets together with Tyler, they're instantly in love and have sex - we don't see it, but the story ends just when they're talking about doing it before going to dinner. The end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Behind the Red Door.

Gayle I'm definitely surprised to read that they had sex, since I didn't read that in my copy. I have no problem with you voicing your opinion, but at least get the story line straight...

message 2: by Marina (last edited Dec 28, 2011 12:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marina Gayle wrote: "I'm definitely surprised to read that they had sex, since I didn't read that in my copy. I have no problem with you voicing your opinion, but at least get the story line straight..."
“What are you doing?” he asked.
“Wondering if sex with you is worth my mother having a heart attack.”
He leaned in, kissed me deeply. “Then we should get that out of the way before dinner.”
I had never agreed with anything so much in my life.
It's not explicitly shown, but they presumably have sex right then. Or was that whole scene meant to convey anything else?

Gayle What you wrote was that they were instantly in love and had sex. The end.

What someone reading your review would think is that they had sex, presumably within the pages of the story. That was what I thought you meant.

And, no, I'm not being facetious.

Making assumptions about the path of a story beyond the end of that story can be interesting. But you didn't phrase your assumption AS an assumption.

As I said, I do respect your opinion, although I disagree with it. However, I do not respect even a minor amount of verbal subtrefuge in a review.

message 4: by Marina (last edited Dec 28, 2011 01:46AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marina I can see how that can be taken wrong, so I'll edit it. But it's not an assumption if the writer clearly led us there. I don't assume, because they clearly say they'll be getting it on. An assumption would be that something happened to disrupt them, like an alien invasion...

OK, that would be really wild speculation.. heh

Gayle Thank you for the edit!