'Timony's Reviews > Wizard's First Rule

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

Dec 30, 11

Read from December 27 to 30, 2011

'Wizard's First Rule' is quite possibly the strangest book I have read in a while. It's got all your typical fantasy elements; swords, enemies, magic artefacts. It does seem almost like an endless quest where barely anything goes right for the main character.

It took me a long while to actually get into the flow of the story - with the first quarter being dedicated to the main character's back story - it all seemed a bit bland, but my tendency to finish a book no matter how crap got me half way through before I had to take a rest from the drudgery. Eventually, I started to feel something for one of the characters - Rachel - and managed to become interested in the story itself. And then the author dedicated quite a few chapters to a very strange sort of BDSM. It confused me, greatly. The 'Love interest' was annoying - yes conflict is necessary, but that much? Really? And the 'Old Wizard' didn't get half the credit he should have, instead he was a sort of caricature of Gandalf. And then there was Princess Violet, I couldn't help but read her dialogue as Helena Bonham Carter's Red Queen.

I can't really praise this book - I like the premise of the story but that's all. It's slow and laborious. It leaves you wishing all the characters would just die and let it be. I really don't know if I will read the second book in this series - although out of curiosity as to whether Goodkind's story telling has improved, I might venture it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard's First Rule.

12/27/2011 page 50
12/27/2011 page 350
42.0% "I can't finish this. It's taken me so long to get a third of the way through and it's just dragging on. I can't read anymore!"
12/29/2011 page 544
65.0% "Somehow I managed to get into the story and now I really want to finish it!"
show 2 hidden updates…