Heather Bokon's Reviews > Moon Dance

Moon Dance by J.R. Rain

Dec 27, 2011

liked it
Read in December, 2011

Samantha Moon was bitten by a vampire six years ago, and as a result had to quit her job and become a private investigator. She's hired by Kingsley Fulcrum to find out who shot him. Clearly he's keeping secrets of his own, since he survived 5 shots to the head.

I got this for free on my Kindle, and I enjoyed it. I didn't love it, but I liked it. Samantha's husband was initially supportive of her, but as time went by, he began to pull away. He said that she repulses him now, with her cold skin and blood-drinking. He's presented as a complete jerk, and while I see that in him, and he handled the entire situation completely wrong, I do see where he's coming from. He's mainly concerned that she'll lose control and hurt the kids.

It was nice to read a vampire book (a genre which has been done to death) and find an interesting twist. A regular soccer mom who was bitten and still tries to make it work. And while the story of this book was wrapped up, there were enough threads left hanging that I'll be back to read the rest of the series. This was a good rainy/snowy Sunday afternoon book, which is about how long it took me to read it. I liked most of the characters, and I didn't see any of them coming across as too cliched, except maybe the donut-eating cop with a gruff exterior and a heart of gold. Some of the information and back-story was somewhat info-dumpy in the form of conversations with Samantha's sister, who only seemed to be in the book for that purpose, but it's not the worst I've seen. Overall, I'd recommend this one for anyone looking for a light vampire read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Dance.