Kelsy's Reviews > Halflings

Halflings by Heather Burch

Jan 17, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: my-ebooks, netgalley, two-stars-or-below, reviewed
Read from January 12 to 17, 2012

I had so many issues with Halflings, I almost couldn't finish it. I really wanted to like it. I really, really did. There was so much potential, within the storyline and with Nikki as a character, but it just totally fell flat. I was interested in the plot at first, because it seemed like a new take on the whole "angel" mythology, and Nikki seemed like this awesome bad-ass character who wouldn't depend on a man to save her, and she and Mace had potential to be an equal couple, and then it all went downhill. Nikki was so wishy-washy, annoying and weak, and she acted like an idiot most of the time. Also, dear god the writing. So many metaphors and long-winded descriptions. I really do not need to know exactly what Raven is wearing every second of the day, and I understand Mace's eyes are "cerulean," I don't need it repeated every other page. I also understand that Nikki is a hottie. I get it. Guys dig her. I don't need it reaffirmed for me every time Mace or Raven looks at her. I had so many problems with Nikki as a character and with the writing, I just couldn't be bothered to care about it. Overall, Halflings is poorly written and its numerous faults outweigh its miniscule triumphs.

FROM AN ARC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halflings.

01/15/2012 page 244