Lani's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith

Sep 13, 12

bookshelves: historicalfiction, to-read
Read on December 27, 2011

I certainly enjoyed this book more than the author's previous book Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. In that one there was such a sharp drop in writing quality and style between Austen and Grahame-Smith that it was unpleasant to read. It also tended towards the 5th grade boy level of gross out humor.

This book suffers from neither problem, and develops characters in a way that the author hadn't really needed to do in P&P&Z. I had started this one awhile ago, stopped for some reason about 50 pages in, and so my expectations were quite low by the time I finally got around to picking it up again.

It turned out to be a mostly enjoyable book although even as a casual Lincoln scholar (by which I mean I lived in Illinois and like the Civil War) some of the history and timelines were fudged. I felt that the poorly photoshopped sepia toned photos looked so silly that they were distracting. And seriously? Those were the best you could do?

But if you're a fan of cheesy vampire fiction (of the non-Twilight variety), or can see the humor in a different take on the Civil War, then this book isn't bad. And it's likely a pretty unique story unless there's more vampire alternative history than I know about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.