ms bookjunkie's Reviews > White Tiger

Jul 07, 13

bookshelves: 2012, urban-fantasy, 2013, favorites, reread
Recommended to ms bookjunkie by: Angela James, SB Sarah
Read from September 05 to 11, 2012, read count: 2

I'll admit that for the first half of the book I wondered what the fuss was about. But the second half? Compelling, fascinating, couldn't put it down.

Yes, I had some issues with Emma: She could've acted more mature about not being told everything. (She came across as immature in her reaction.) She was a bit of a Mary Sue, and while the story was told from her POV, she felt distant to me. (I'm used to being more in the know about a heroine's feelings—and past. There was no explanation for the distance from her family, her estrangement from her sister.)

Good points: Hong Kong as a setting, local color and culture, Chinese mythology… All different from the usual Western Hemisphere-set UF. Refreshing to read and authentic in feeling.

Want. More. Soonest.

(Here's the SBTB blog post that brought the series to my attention, but it was Angela James' comments that convinced me I should read it.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Tiger.

09/08/2012
15.0% "Emma, I like you but I wish you'd act a little more your age. If you're told that something isn't your business, the grownup reaction is more graceful than "but I wanna know! Wanna wanna wanna!" (Just sayin')"
09/11/2012
85.0% "After about halfway through the book, it suddenly got too fascinating to put down."
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela James I love these books. I had to have them imported from Australia when they first released years ago, so I could read them. Then I mailed them to different friends around the country, so they could read them, lol

ms bookjunkie The Journey to Wudang trilogy is being rereleased this fall in both the US and the UK. Just FYI. :)

message 3: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela James Oh, I own them all, lol. I wasn't going to let a little thing like territory restrictions stop me from buying them.

ms bookjunkie On Kindle too? Anyway, now you'll be able to recommend and/or gift them any time you wish and there'll be none of that "it's a great series but really hard to get ahold of…"

message 5: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela James Yep, I got them digitally. Someone in Australia bought them for me. But I am SO glad they've been doing the US and UK releases. I was happy when I saw them appear in the US ebook stores.

ms bookjunkie Me too. I didn't begin reading Dark Heavens earlier because Journey to Wudang was OOP and I understand there's a cliffhanger… (Thanks for the warning about that, BTW!)