Daniel's Reviews > Carte Blanche

Carte Blanche by Jeffery Deaver

Dec 29, 11

Read from December 27 to 29, 2011

A fun adventure read that flows smoothly and easily for this reader. Deaver had quite the challenge in modernizing Bond and I think does an admirable job, though diehard Flemming fans will likely disagree.

Not likely to win any awards, but was a fun read, full of twists, action and interesting characters. The backstory on Bonds parents is interesting. Deaver does a fascinating job of painting Bond and the "good" guys as wrestling with morals and ethics, while portraying the band guys as ammoral.

It really was a fun read and glad it was one of my holiday buys. Makes me interested in Deavers other books now.

For those who are curious: very little fowl language (far less than Clancy) and only two scenes of mild foreplay, after which sex is inferred yet not described. A surprising and refreshingly clean adventure. I was concerned Bond might simply be enamored with women and sex - and feel more like a college out of control guy - but Deavers bond isn't that at all (and perhaps Flemming's Bond doesn't fit such a crude stereotype either).

A most enjoyable action-adventure that I definitely recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carte Blanche.

12/27/2011
0.0% "Grew up watching the Bond films and read 3 excerpts from this in the London Times last year - been interested in picking it up ever since. Thanks to Amzn gift cards for Xmas, I did. I'll let you know how it is. :-)"
12/28/2011
88.0% "Been a while since I read a fiction novel like this (grew up reading Cussler and Clancy) it's been a fun adventure story, lots of twists and surprises and surprisingly clean - I was prepared for the worst since it was a Bond book."