Ryan Price's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

4204328
Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: audio, comedy, scifi, second-read
Read in January, 1997

A masterpiece.

I could stop there. After re-reading this just this past week, I'm curious to go back and find out just why Adams had an obsession with digital watches, and if there were other allegorical elements to the book, like the extreme aversion to bureaucrats (Vogons). He even gives them really ugly faces, and explains how their poetry can literally kill you. That's a serious hate.

I originally read this in the 9th grade, and now I feel I can appreciate this book so much more. If you have only seen the 2005 movie, understand that it is not based on the same storyline. As far as I know, each time this story was adapted, it took on a different character. The Producer of the film apparently cleared that up.

"The script we shot was very much based on the last draft that Douglas wrote....All the substantive new ideas in the movie...are brand new Douglas ideas written especially for the movie by him....Douglas was always up for reinventing HHGG in each of its different incarnations and he knew that working harder on some character development and some of the key relationships was an integral part of turning HHGG into a movie."

If you are a fan of the film, you'll be pleased to know that Stephen Fry, the voice of the Guide in the movie, has also narrated a most excellent version of this book, which I was given as a gift. I need to go thank that person again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.