Jay's Reviews > Second Glance

Second Glance by Jodi Picoult

2419499
Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, fantasy, historical-recent, redrum, tab-a-in-slot-b, psychology
Read from December 27, 2011 to January 01, 2012

I was incredibly hesitant to start reading this book. I want to like Jodi Picoult. She has fascinating ideas, and I really like the plots she writes. I love the way she sets up characters to have their heart ripped out. I'm always left unsatisfied, though. My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Keeping Faith, Mercy... they all felt as though Picoult had done what she'd wanted to do, and then she had no idea how to finish. It's like she got sick of writing the novel and wanted to move onto the next idea that had grabbed her. All these books, bar Mercy, which bored me from the start, really engrossed me. Second Glance did, too.

The characters are a little weak in parts, and the romantic story line between Ross and Meredith made me roll my eyes, and the ending with the quarry... well, that made me push my suspension of disbelief a little too far, but as a whole, I felt like Picoult really wanted a satisfying ending for her characters. Everything wrapped up well here. Everyone got an ending that worked for them.

I really liked the relationship between Lia and Ross. Was it face-paced? Sure. But I'm happy to ignore my little quibbles a little. I mean, hell, this is a fantasy novel. Ross has had a miserable life and Lia's been dreaming about him. So let's go with it. And I really loved the relationship between Lia and Grey Wolf.

Just something I didn't particularly enjoy, aside from what I mentioned above. I'm not too sure how I felt Picoult's way of writing a short scene that lasts between half a page to two pages, then ending it and moving onto the next scene. It felt very Dan Brown to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Glance.

12/27/2011 page 3
12/28/2011 page 53
12.0% "Need to stop reading MIL's books."
show 2 hidden updates…