David's Reviews > The Family Meal: Home Cooking with Ferran Adrià

The Family Meal by Ferran Adrià

Dec 26, 11

Read from December 26 to 27, 2011

One of the best cook books I've seen. I think I could happily throw away all my other cook books ( and there are so so many ) and keep only this one.*

Adria prepares 30+ three-course meals, with photos illustrating each step of the process - including a nice double-page photo showing all the ingredients necessary for each course, a table showing how much of each ingredient is required to prepare the meal for 2,6,20 or 75 people, and a timeline indicating when to undertake each step.

Some might consider such step-by-step instructions aimed more at beginners, and some may may consider them somehow beneath them; as a scientist, I can appreciate Adria's approach as a method to assist in precise rendering of each dish - as he notes in his introduction, the El Bulli system allows any cook to walk in to the El Bulli kitchen on any day and produce a meal that is precisely the same as the last time it was served.

*Okay, I got a little carried away. I'd throw away MOST of my other cook books. At the very least I would keep Heston Blumenthal's Total Perfection. And Twelve by Tessa Kiros. And my nana's Scottish cook book. And the Zombie Cupcakes book.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Meal.

03/17 marked as: read