Dija's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Mar 15, 2012

bookshelves: cover-heaven, 2011, wow, ya, uf-or-pnr, surprisingly-good, authors-i-stalk, my-reviews, first-in-series
Recommended to Dija by: Everyone on GoodReads, it seems.
Recommended for: Anyone who has yet to jump on this particular bandwagon.
Read on December 31, 2011

You know when you've been underwater for a couple minutes and come up for air and take the longest breath ever, and it feels a little bit like Heaven? That's what reading Angelfall is like.

I always find it extremely hard to explain why something worked for me. It's much easier to explain why something should be thrown in the trash. Still, Angelfall worked brilliantly. I spent all of New Year's Eve reading this book, and it took me 4 hours to fall asleep after that last chapter.

As with nearly all the books I read, my rating is based mostly on the characters. Raffe and Penryn are both extremely unusual and thoroughly wonderful characters. I love how their behavior is consistent with their personality, a rarity in most YA's.

World-building is a crucial part of dystopian novels, and Susan Ee excels in this regard. Penryn's world is brutal, harsh, and raw, where angels are at the top of the ladder and humans at the bottom. Nonetheless, this novel is still far from depressing. Ee has a very dark and dry sense of humor and it shows in unexpected ways throughout the story.

The only reason for the 3.5-4 stars is that I couldn't really bring myself to fall in love with this book. I loved it far more than I have most novels, but it lacked that "obsessed with" factor.

That aside, Angelfall is truly a fantastic novel well-deserving of all the hype. The long wait till the next book is certainly going to be an excruciating one after that cliffhanger ending!

For more reviews, visit my blog.
26 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

Quotes Dija Liked

Susan Ee
“The logistics of breaking you are easy. The only question is when.”
“Right. If you could do it, you would have done it already.”
“Maybe you entertain me.” He says with supreme confidence as if he’s in control of the situation.
"Like a monkey with an attitude and a pair of scissors.”

Susan Ee
“You," he says, with a dirty look, “don’t deserve salvation.”
"As if you could give it to me,” I croak. “Why would I want to go to Heaven anyway when it’s crammed full of murderers and kidnappers like you and your buddies?”
“Who says I belong in Heaven?”

Susan Ee
“She? You’re not one of those people who name their cars and coffee mugs, are you? It’s an inanimate object. Get over it.”

Susan Ee
“Here, I’ll show you how to use it. Let me see your foot.”
“That’s a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet.”

Susan Ee
“I wonder which will get you killed faster—your loyalty or your stubbornness?”

Susan Ee
“I never kid about my warrior demigod status."
"Oh. My. God." I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. "You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”

Susan Ee
“My friends call me Wrath,” says Raffe. “My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What’s your name, soldier boy?”

Susan Ee
“The next time you have a quarrel with me, I'd appreciate it if you could just talk to me first before resorting to pelting me with rocks.”

Susan Ee
“What if they don’t let us go through?” I ask, trying not to move my lips.
“They will,” he answers from the dark recesses of the backseat footwell.
“How do you know?”
“Because you have the look they’re looking for.”
“What look is that?”
“Beautiful.” His voice is like a caress from the shadows.”

Susan Ee
“It is not the gentle kiss of a couple on a first date, nor is it the kiss of a man driven by simple lust. He kisses me with the desperation of a dying man who believes the magic of eternal life is in this kiss.”

Susan Ee
“You’ve acquired a pet, archangel. When did this happen?” There’s puzzlement in his voice, as if it’s normal for Beliel to know of Raffe’s companions.
“I’m not anyone’s pet.”
“I met her tonight at the aerie,” says Raffe. “She’s been following me around. She means nothing.”
Beliel snorts. “Funny, I didn’t ask if she meant anything to you.” He looks me up and down, taking in every detail. “Scrawny. But serviceable.” He saunters toward me.”

Susan Ee
“He runs his finger tips along my cheek, caressing my face. “Hush. I’m right here.” He looks at me with deep anguish in his eyes. Like there’s so much he wants to tell me but feels it’s too late now. I want to stroke his face and tell him that it will be okay. That everything will be all right. And I wish so badly that it would be.”

Susan Ee
“How long did you resist?” asks Uriel. “Did you push her away? Did you tell her she meant no more to you than any other animal? Oh, Raffe, did she die thinking you didn't care about her? How tragic. That must just tear you to pieces.”
Raffe looks up with murder in his eyes. “Don't. Talk. About. Her.”

Susan Ee
“I knew from the start that your loyalty would get you killed. I just never thought it would be your loyalty to me that would do it.”

Susan Ee
“So long as you don't bleed in the shape of wing joints, you should pass for human. Oh, and don't let anyone pick you up. They'll know you're not right as soon as they feel how light you are."

"I'll be sure not to let anyone but you carry me in her arms.”

Susan Ee
“When I open my eyes, the morning light makes me wish I hadn’t. Raffe lies on his sofa, watching me with those dark blue eyes. I swallow, suddenly feeling awkward and unkempt. Great. The world has come to an end, my mother is out there with the street gangs, crazier than ever, my sister has been kidnapped by vengeful angels, and I'm concerned that my hair is greasy and my breath smells bad.”

Susan Ee
“Because there’s no reason to think Paige had to eat anything. Paige is not a low demon. She’s a little girl. A vegetarian. A born humanitarian. A budding Dalai Lama, for chrissake. She only attacked the angel to defend me. That’s all.
Besides, she didn’t eat him, she just… gnawed on him a little.”

Susan Ee
“Leaking sacks of mutated maggots?" He raises his perfectly arched eyebrow as though I'd just failed my verbal insult exam.”

Susan Ee
“A sense of humor is one more thing I don't think angels should have. The fact that his sense of humor is corny makes it even more wrong.”

Susan Ee
“Anybody that ties you to a chair at gunpoint is a bad guy. Do I really need to explain this?”

Susan Ee
“I never thought about it before, but I'm proud to be human. We're ever so flawed. We're frail, confused, violent, and we struggle with so many issues. But all in all, I'm proud to be a Daughter of Man.”

Susan Ee
“Why were the other angels attacking you?"

"It's impolite to ask the victim of violence what they did to be attacked.”

Susan Ee
“Either he's shaken by something or he's falling off the wagon hard and fast. Great. Just my luck to be partnered with an alcoholic angel.”

Susan Ee
“Oh, please. Your giant head is getting too big for this forest. Pretty soon, you're going to get stuck trying to walk between two tress. And then, I'll have to rescue you." I give him a weary look. "Again.”

Susan Ee
“A little weird? That was freakin' Bizarroville."
He pauses and looks back at me.
"Are you speaking English?”

Susan Ee
“In the long second before everyone absorbs what just happened, I see the angel rolling his eyes heavenward, like a teenager in the presence of overwhelming lameness. Some people just have no sense of gratitude.”

Susan Ee
“‎"Was that your plan all along? Show me where to go, then convince me there's nothing I can do to save my sister?"

"Actually, my plan all along was to become a rockstar, travel the world collecting fan girls, and then getting really fat and spending the rest of my life playing video games while the girls kept comin', thinking I look good as I did in my music videos." He shrugs as if to say, 'who knew the world would turn out so different?”

12/31/2011
25.0% "“You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”"

Nimra khalid you should read it ASAP..its really good..being fantasy and all that..:)

Dija I've already read it, Nimra. Just have to add a review and rating. And you're right, this IS a great book. :D

Nimra khalid great na..:D..it is one of the worthy books of 2011..

Whitney Yay! :D I'm glad you read this. <3 It's a wonderful book.~

HeatherJay Great review, Dija!

Samina ~ Escapism~ Totally agree with you Whitney.Love this book.Can't wait for the second.

Whitney Samina ~ Escapism~ wrote: "Totally agree with you Whitney.Love this book.Can't wait for the second."

Me either. Wish it would come out soon!

Samina ~ Escapism~ Okay for some reason I read underwater as "without underwear".Why don't ask me. but I loved this book.

Dija LOL! Then it'd read as "when you've been without underwear for a couple minutes". Haha, that's hilarious. XD

And I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I loved Penryn and Raffe. <3

Samina ~ Escapism~ Yup, that's what I read it first even if I'm ashamed to say it was what caught my eye.

Penryn was totally kick ass and Raffe was great. I can't wait for the sequel.

message 11: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija Me too! Hopefully there'll be some news on it soon.