Margaret Chind's Reviews > The Heretic Queen

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

Jun 22, 2008

bookshelves: historical, own, crown-publishing, egypt, ancient-history, 5000bc-400ad-ancients
Recommended to Margaret by: Michelle Moran
Recommended for: everyone
Read in January, 2016

Originally posted on Creative Madness Mama.

*This post has been updated with my new format as of January 27, 2016
with the Ultimate Book Blogger Plugin.*
The Heretic Queen book review
Oh, what a novel! I wish it had not come to an end. Every time I picked up the book to settle in for a read, I was swept into the world of Egypt with Pharaoh's and Warrior Queen's. I was impressed by Nefertiti, Michelle Moran's debut, but The Heretic Queen surpasses my admiration by far.

Our story is told from a first person perspective straight from the mouth of Nefertari, beloved of Ramesses, and Warrior Queen of Egypt. From a child to a woman, as a reader you get to hold onto her tale. I giggled with her, and I became enraged at her enemies. I felt empathy for her situations and I praised her for her morality and decisions for love instead of revenge.

Nefertari is one for the heart, she has gone in and is there to stay. I wish her story could continue, because I would just love to soak in more. Michelle has truly a winner on her hands here. It is one of those books that I doubt I will lend, because I just want to read it again (sorry, go buy your own!). It makes me think about so many things. Although, I do believe it is a fabulous novel and can be fully enjoyed on it's own, it does make me desire to go back and re-read Nefertiti, because I have know realized things that I have missed.

Nefertiti and her Pharaoh left a legacy that was difficult if not impossible to follow for our dear Nefertari, but in this novel she is shown as a masterful work of beauty. She overcomes the "sins of her fathers" and moves beyond. So many elements of historical value are found within these pages that I want to buy a textbook or book a plane trip to learn more. Michelle gives you just a taste and it is the teaser of the mind. She is an author to watch and look forward to for more, that can know go without having to be said.

I cannot wait for Cleopatra's Daughter next year!

Nefertiti Review from the Egyptian Royals Collection on Creative Madness Mama Cleopatra's Daughter Review of the Egyptian Royals Collection on Creative Madness Mama Crown Broadway Review of Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran on Creative Madness Mama Crown Broadway Review The Second Empress a novel of Napoleon's CourtRebel Queen The Last Queen of India book review on Creative Madness Mama and guest post by Michelle Moran
This review was originally posted on Creative Madness Mama.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heretic Queen.

05/29/2016 marked as: read