Melissa's Reviews > Oh, Beautiful: An American Family in the 20th Century

Oh, Beautiful by John Paul Godges

Mar 11, 12

Read in March, 2012

I received this book as a Good Reads first read. I'm not even 100 pages in and already, I'm in love with this book. It's well written and has a way of making history tangible. From the beginning, the experiences people are going through make the story seem unreal, and yet, it is.

Update: March 11, 2012 - Finally Finished
I've been trying to figure out how to put into words just how this book reached me as a reader, as a human being, as part of a dysfunctional family. Most people shy away from what makes them vulnerable and uncomfortable. They hide the parts of themselves that they are not proud of, even the parts of other people that embarrass them. Those people can learn a valuable lesson from Mr. Godges. He has embraced that vulnerability and exposed himself, his family, his community, and his history in a way that takes nerves of steel. His portrayal of the history of his family and how he grew to be the man he is is raw, honest, and damn gutsy.

Mr. Godges clearly has made the decision to own who he is. He makes no excuses and expects no approvals from the reader. It takes a very special kind of honesty for one to be able to be who they are without apologies to others, or themselves. If more people were able to embrace themselves and share themselves the way that Mr. Godges has, the world would be a far kinder and more tolerant place.

Read this book. Read it for what it is with no judgement. Take the parts that resonate with you and leave the rest. Or take it all and use it as inspiration to be who you are with no excuses, no apologies, no regrets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oh, Beautiful.