Holly's Reviews > Another Piece of My Heart

Another Piece of My Heart by Jane Green

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read on February 24, 2012

I won this book in the First Reads program. I've read some other books by Jane Green in the past and liked them, so initially I was happy to have won this book. This is not a bad book, to some people this could be a 5 star book. It just was not the book for me.

It was good enough at the start to hook me in, but then I started to find Andi annoying and it only got worse as the book went on. You're supposed to feel bad for her, she's the stepmother to Emily, who acts like a brat and resents her for taking away her dad's attention. I felt like Andi is one of those people who always acts the victim, but it's partially her fault too. I didn't like her, but I didn't like Emily either.

The plot just felt a bit too contrived and artificial to me at times, and everything just fell into place a little too perfectly. I read a lot of books where maybe things are contrived, or unbelievable things happen, but the way they are written really draws you in, to where when you're reading it, you're so in the world of the book that you can suspend your disbelief and it feels like this could truly be happening. It wasn't so for me with this book. But I could see the right person really getting sucked into this world and loving it.

The book changes points of view frequently, which can be a bit distracting. It makes the story telling feel a bit fractured.

All in all, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. Not the book for me, but it could be the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Piece of My Heart.