Rosemary's Reviews > When God Was a Woman

When God Was a Woman by Merlin Stone

Dec 26, 2011

bookshelves: feminism, spirit

I think this book is a must-read for anyone following Goddess religion, as it presents ideas and concepts that are very important. The book itself is a bit dry and 'scholarly' sounding without actually being scholarly. As has been said often enough by others, the author does not cite her sources. She also doesn't organize the book in an easy-to-understand way, jumping between millennia and over thousands of miles in a couple of paragraphs over and over in each chapter. She also speaks of cities that only an avid ancient historian would really know of without slightest explanation. As I read it, I really skimmed over quite a bit of the dry and repetitive passages in order to get the basic idea: cultures that are matrilineal are quite different than those that are patrilineal; there was a conscious effort on the part of the patrilineal cultures to destroy matrilineal systems. My favorite part of this book is the overview and analysis of the creation myth in the Bible and how damaging to women it really is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When God Was a Woman.