Zoe Haverstein's Reviews > Fever

Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, kcls, young-adult, read-in-2012
Read from March 18 to 22, 2012

Overall I was disappointed in Fever. It fell into the trilogy trap where the second book was really lacking. The pacing was very slow, the plot barely moved forward at all, the writing seemed monotonous, and the relationships fell flat.

While I really enjoyed the writing style of Wither (the first book), her use of language here just seemed to drag on and instead of being captivated by her words I was just bored. The new characters introduced in this book didn't hold the same suspense or emotions for me as the characters from the first book and the relationship between Rhine and Gabriel goes nowhere. In fact, we still don't really get to know anything about Gabriel's characters and that was something I was looking forward to in this book.

We continue to know very little about the world, the development of science, or the social and political undercurrents. There are hints about a rebellion, but it never really goes anywhere.

Towards the end of Fever, like the last 50-75 pages, the story gains a little momentum and tries to end with a big finish. Even though the ending leaves you hanging a little, I am not dying to pick up the next book. I will finish the series, as I want to know how the story concludes, and I hope that Lauren DeStefano finds her way back to a strong ending in the third book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever.