Beanbag Love's Reviews > When Beauty Tamed the Beast

When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James

Dec 26, 11

This was much better than A Kiss at Midnight (the first in James's "Fairy Tales" series). The story held together well, the chemistry was strong, the banter was funny and the plot was solid enough to carry the weight of fluff/romance/pathos/humor/etc.

In short, a huge improvement.

Piers and Linnet are great characters. He's an ass. A completely uncensored curmudgeon and she's smart enough to intentionally yank his chain without coming off like a self-centered, bitchy, idiot (as so many sharp-tongued heroines do).

I picked this up this morning and read it all day. I kept wanting to get back to it which is one of my top criteria for giving a book 4.5 to 5 stars.

This is actually a 4.5 because of the continued use of modern slang and phrasing. "What happens in Wales, stays in Wales"? Please don't do that anymore, Ms. James. Please.

But the story was good enough that such author indulgences didn't ruin it for me this time. I have more patience when I care about the plot and characters equally. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Beauty Tamed the Beast.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Dec 26, 2011 07:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy yay! I didn't like the end, but I loved the banter (have you seen my my review? it's a bit of a rant) ;)

Beanbag Love Just read your review. While I was angry at Piers, I didn't actually hate him even at that point. I figured something would happen to knock some sense into him. I think I would have even forgiven the "What happens in Wales, stays in Wales" if he'd groveled a bit more, though. :D

Laura the Highland Hussy LOL!!! I have had the B&N page for the Duke is Mine up for hours and am still waffling on whether I should buy it...It's sad really, that I can't make up my mind

Beanbag Love I preordered it. Somehow I screwed up though and preordered it in paperback instead of e-book, so I'm annoyed about that. But I have to know what's going to happen with Rupert. He's the one I care about. lol (Don't tell me anyone who's already read it!)

Laura the Highland Hussy lol! my lips are zipped!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I loved, loved, loved this book! I'm so glad it worked for you, too, Beanbag!

AgentScully I loved this book! So glad you did too Bean.

message 8: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Bean, can I read this one without reading the first?

message 9: by M (new) - added it

M A Fantastic, can't wait to tackle this read. : )

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Angela, the books can definitely be read as stand alones. They are not related at all.