Tim's Reviews > 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done

18 Minutes by Peter Bregman

Dec 26, 2011

liked it
Read in December, 2011

Peter Bregman is an author and business consultant whose book 18 Minutes provides a good way to focus on your life in the year ahead. Some of my key takeaways from this book.

1. Find your focus for the coming year by leveraging your strengths, embracing your weaknesses, asserting your differences, and pursuing your passions. Bregman says to focus on around 5 goals for the coming year, with a mix of professional and personal goals.

2. Prior to each day, you should review your plan to be sure you'll do work in your areas of focus and at the end of each day, you should review what you learned, accomplished, and should focus on in the coming day. And, at the top of each hour, review the past hour to evaluate how productive you've been. This is where the 18 minutes in the title comes from: five minutes at the beginning, five minutes at the end, and 8 minutes through out the day.
3. Mastering distractions from yourself or others can help you live in the moment and not lose focus on your overall goals.

4. For me, his advice to slow down and pause--whether at the end of the week or during a conversation--will be very useful.

Overall, there is nothing too remarkable about this book, but it is a quick read that provides good reminders for those of us who lead busy lives. Most useful to me are the 3 sets of questions that can help review the day:
• How did the day go? What success did I experience? What challenges did I endure?
• What did I learn today? About myself? About others? What do I plan to do--differently or the same--tomorrow?
• Whom did I interact with? Anyone I red to update? Thank? Ask a question of? Share feedback with?

I'll be sure to integrate these with my daily rituals.

Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 18 Minutes.

03/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Olivia happy christmas

Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job I've had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+ http://www.homejobs7.com