Katherine's Reviews > The Feast of Love

The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter

Dec 26, 11

Something about the cover art and the back blurb always led me to assume that The Feast of Love was yet another tiresome novel about a couple of suburban white people whose marriage slowly collapsed. And, okay, that's one of the intertwining plots, but DAMN, did I ever misjudge this one.

The Feast of Love is really about a group of people whose otherwise ordinary lives are suffused and driven by transcendence and love. It's got a continuously shifting point of view (each chapter is narrated by another character) that nevertheless manages to move several narratives forward in a relatively linear and tense fashion. The plot twists are fresh and unexpected without breaking character or stretching the limits of plausibility. With a couple of exceptions - such as the teenage couple whose sections are mostly a litany of naivete and pop culture references peppered with "like," although they get a lot better towards the end - the characters are full and our experience of their lives is deep and fresh. Go read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Feast of Love.