JennyJen's Reviews > Rot and Ruin

Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A ZOMBIE BOOK?

Photobucket

HOLY DUMB SHIT, BATMAN.

For the record, I read half of this book. Zombies appeared twice. Two times. Two measly times for maybe one boring, emotionless minute each of those times. I mean, seriously, can I get one Zombie Happy Meal in half a damn zombie book?

What am I saying? I'm blaspheming on behalf of zombie lovers everywhere. This isn't a zombie book, so much as it's a tale of two boring-ass brothers, one of which is an annoying, vapid, fucktwat with no common sense. This is supposed to be the story of his journey to manhood, but it was a flat, wordy pretentious mess. Pretentious, because the older brother just talked and talked and talked and talked and (I shit you not) talked some more. Chapters would go by and this dude would be telling zombie tales to his baby bro. Back-to-back-without-pause boring-ass zombie tales! For, like, a chapter or two at a time. We'd hear all this fucking nonsense about how meaningful all the zombie shit was, but that's all it was - TALES. Long, drawn out, pretentious tales. And they weren't meaningful. The dude would say they were and he'd have "thoughtful" and "meaningful" pauses, but it was just a bunch of long, boring tales. FML. HARD.

I might come back to this review to spew some more, but right now, I need a frikkin nap. Suffice to say that if you can't excite a zombie lover once in 50% of a zombie frikkin' novel, then maybe you shouldn't be writing zombie frikkin' novels OR the cover should have two teens holding hands or some other dumb shit like that.

Did I mention the MC catches a case of obsessive insta-like from a picture? Other reviews say that the latter half of the book revolves around this insta-like/love. Thankfully, I jumped ship just in time to avoid it. I'd rather be eaten by zombies.
-_-

This cover: Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry is trickery.

zombie finger gif

For more of my reviews, check out my blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rot and Ruin.

10/26/2012
10.0% "Hm. Interesting concept, but this better bring the ruckus, because mama's patience has been running thin with mediocre books lately."
17.0% "So far, so boring." 4 comments
10/26/2012
32.0% "OMG. Ffs, are there any zombies in this book? Wtf."
10/26/2012
41.0% "This is infuriating. This could be so good. I just don't think it'll happen."
10/26/2012
48.0% "I'm about to DNF this, but the MC is in a precarious situation and I'm wishing fervently for his horrific death."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

JennyJen I'm drowning here. =/

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` wish luck.
To your next victim

JennyJen Maybe Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1) by Susan Dennard

Maybe Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore

I'm torn. Not really wanting to read YA, but everyone is raving about these two. Then again, all the ones I hated recently were recs, too. Guess I have to buck up and cross my fingers. Woe.

JennyJen Aurelija The Golden aka Mary Maundrell wrote: "wish luck.
To your next victim"

>_< I've gotten tougher on books lately. If I keep schlepping through shit books, I'll never get through my mountainess to-read list.

JennyJen D=

Despair..

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` I can't find satisfaction I need from the books I read right now. Makes me wanna scream when I think about finishing them.. :/

JennyJen It's been such a rough week after the gloriousness of Fever. I keep throwing myself into book after book, because if I don't, Ima lose my will to read for a while and probably go into a tv watching frenzy.

JennyJen Maybe we should read that stupid group read. Maybe we'll end up liking it, if we stop fighting it. ^_^

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` JennyJen wrote: "It's been such a rough week after the gloriousness of Fever. I keep throwing myself into book after book, because if I don't, Ima lose my will to read for a while and probably go into a tv watching..."

my feelings exactly!

I don't it will be bad read, not very bad at least.
I'm just not it the mood for it yet.
I'm killing myself with fifty at the moment.

JennyJen Aurelija The Golden aka Mary Maundrell wrote: "JennyJen wrote: "It's been such a rough week after the gloriousness of Fever. I keep throwing myself into book after book, because if I don't, Ima lose my will to read for a while and probably go i..."

Please do not tarnish our friendship by bringing up fifty again. I do not trust my constraint.

Moving on.

Let's check out our shelves and find something mutual and buddy read. We just have to get through the next 3 days until Iced. It is almost upon us. ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

message 11: by mich (new)

mich I was thinking about buying this but I think I will skip it now. Awesome review, you are freakin hilarious!

JennyJen mich wrote: "I was thinking about buying this but I think I will skip it now. Awesome review, you are freakin hilarious!"

You're too kind. =)

And I can't even bring myself to tell you to try this book. This ia a "zombie book" for people who prefer dramas and YA romances to actual zombies. -_-

Tiberius Bones Best review ever. I am still going to read this, but this had me laughing.

JennyJen Tiberius wrote: "Best review ever. I am still going to read this, but this had me laughing."

Thanks. I hope it's better for you than it was for me. ^_^