JC's Reviews > Lies My Teacher Told Me

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: 2011, kindle, my-firsttime
Read from December 26 to 29, 2011, read count: 1

History is boorrring. James Loewen definitely got that right. That is what I thought about history in high school and for several years after. I had no desire to pick up a history book or read about it. Fortunately, I have read a few books about history since then and have been thoroughly impressed. Most specifically, as Loewen points out, history in high school covers so many topics and hides the truth in so many areas. The US is the best country ever and never makes mistakes, and when they do, they fix them. Seriously that is exactly how everything is presented and details are so sparse. This book was published in 1996, but there were no change in my history class or textbook by 2000. I didn't know anything that was happening in the recent history. Honestly, I didn't even know Truman was president when they dropped the atomic bomb. I had to read Truman (by McCullough) to learn that. Loewen makes some excellent points throughout. There were a couple of times where I was bit bored with this book, but overall a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies My Teacher Told Me.