Shellie Foltz's Reviews > Bunheads

Bunheads by Sophie Flack

Dec 27, 11

Read from December 26 to 27, 2011

Bunheads by Sophie Flack is the 49th young adult novel I have read this calendar year. I've been all sorts of places and experienced all sorts of things with the authors; but, the world Flack invited me to peer into was by far the most unusual, unfamiliar, and fascinating. In truth, I have a greater chance of personally experiencing cryogenic freezing and reanimation on a new planet or saving a human clone from a life of scientific experimentation than I do of dancing ballet.

Though her heroine, Hannah, is a bit older than most (19), in many ways she is far more a child for having lived her entire adolescence under the care and training of the Manhattan Ballet. While the setting and situations will be entirely foreign to most readers, the story (a cautionary tale) of choosing one's life path, of devoting one's self - body and soul - to a singular purpose, of sacrifice, of loss, of yearning, is one we all can read with a certain sense of understanding and empathy as Flack challenges us to explore with Hannah the intersections of art and sweat, of love and devotion, of sacrifice and selfishness.

It is on this common ground - the seat of human spirit - where readers can build a nest from which to read about and allow themselves to be utterly immersed in a life of which very few will even have a vague knowledge. Bunheads by Sophie Flack is a stunning debut novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bunheads.

12/26/2011 page 172