Lisa Kay's Reviews > Dating Dead Men

Dating Dead Men by Harley Jane Kozak

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

★★★★✩ I like to make greeting cards. In fact, my BFfL (best friend for life) insists on dragging me out of the house (and away from my books!) every now and then to a card-making class. I love a good mystery, too. Throw in a little romance and I’m ecstatic. Combining these three elements, the bases of this series, piqued my interest when I saw book #4 was on audio at my public library (everyone knows I’m addicted audiobooks).

Since Debbie, one of my GRs friends, has a fit every time I start a series out of order, I thought it might actually be worth the effort for me to arrange an interlibrary transfer via my computer (the easy part) and physically go (the hard part) to my Brick & Mortar Public Library to retrieve the first in the Wollie Shelley Mysteries available to me only in the Dead Tree Version (hardback). Surprise! It was.

What can I say? This is a fun book, with occasional touching moments. I thought the heroine was going to be TSTL when she instantly falls for a potential murderer, but she held my attention. Got to love a woman named after an eighteenth century feminist (Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley) who keeps a Regency Romance in her jacket pocket – just in case there’s time to read it.

Time? That Wollie doesn’t find; there’s a lot happening in this book. There is also wit and charm; enough that I’ll be making another trek to the library for the second in the series. That’s saying something, since I’m the spoiled “Download Queen of Cyberspace” now. Ms. Kozak’s writing flows at a nice clip making it well worth the journey. I liked sentences like: “He hacked again, hard enough to rearrange his lungs.”

I’ll keep you posted about the audiobook.

Dating Dead Men (Wollie Shelley Mystery #1) by Harley Jane Kozak Dating is Murder by Harley Jane Kozak Dead Ex by Harley Jane Kozak A Date You Can't Refuse by Harley Jane Kozak

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dating Dead Men.

01/05/2012 page 35

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Did you make those cards, Lisa? They're lovely!

Lisa Kay No, Lady D. But I make some similar. I e-mailed my friend and ask her to post some of her cards to photobucket.com so I could put them here; we'll see if she does. The classes we take are superneat -- so many different techniques.

Lisa Kay I guess I'm going to have to get with the new millennium & figure out how to load pics from my iPod/Touch to photobucket.com!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Hey, I'm right there with you. I don't do much of the digital stuff.

I make cards too.

Lisa Kay You do? Neat! ☺ Fun. My BFfL has a roomful of the stuff and I go to her house every once in a while or to a class together.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Looks like a good book. Great review, Lisa Kay. I use to scrapbook but became overwhelmed with 4 kids to make albums for, so decided to make cards instead. Much faster and everyone loves a homemade card.

Lisa Kay Four kids! Whoa.

message 6: by Karla (new)

Karla Great review Lisa Kay. I like the visuals too!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I make Christmas cards, and last year I made Valentine's day ones. I hope I will be up to it this year as well.

message 4: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Jan 12, 2012 07:20PM) (new)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lisa Kay wrote: "Four kids! Whoa."

Yep. My oldest graduates this year and my youngest is 10. It's kinda weird have a child old enough to go off to college.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Karla!

Lisa Kay Yes, Lady D. Love Valentine's Day cards! I hope I can make some too.

Lisa Kay Whoa, Kristen! And soon the youngest will go off too! In a blink of an eye.