Cayleigh's Reviews > The False Friend

The False Friend by Myla Goldberg

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: read-2011
Read on December 26, 2011

I found The False Friend to be a quick read about a woman who goes back to her hometown to right a wrong that happened when she was 11. I kind of liked the small glimpses back in to Celia's 11 year old life, things were so much more trivial but also so intense at that age. A lot of the book was very lyrical in it's descriptions of the people and places, I really enjoyed this. At the same time I think that sort of writing also disconnected me from the characters. I started to like the descriptions more than the people. Overall, interesting afternoon worth of reading can get you thinking about all the tricks and lies the mind will use on you so that you can live or rest peacefully. The outlying characters, the girls who Celia and Djuna allowed to be in their "group" were very interesting also even though you don't really see much of their adult selves. Kind of piques my interest since I'm getting close to my 10 year high school reunion and I'm SO curious to see everyone in person again to see how they have or have not changed. Celia goes through this with these 3 friends but after like 20+ years.

On a very minor note, the main character's name is Celia, but it really started to bother me the amount of times other characters would call her Celie. When I first noticed I thought it was a typo, but it happened SO many times in the book that it must have been deliberate. I just don't know why it really really started to annoy me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Friend.