David Hallman's Reviews > Wise Bear William: A New Beginning

Wise Bear William by Arthur Wooten

Dec 26, 11

Read in December, 2011

Two Different Worlds

Blood and gore. Drug reference. Intense violence. Strong language.

These are not descriptors for “Wise Bear William – A New Beginning” written by Arthur Wooten and illustrated by Bud Santora.

Rather, they are the warning notes at the beginning of the trailer for one of the most popular recent video games “Call of Duty – Modern Warfare 3.”

Contrary to pop culture assumptions, the story about the Campbell house attic with its talking stuffed toys is more relevant than the world of globetrotting machine-gun-toting behemoths.

Our day-to-day lives filled with anxieties and opportunities are much closer to what occurs in the Campbell house than in the testosterone-infused urban combat scenes of the video game world.

Captain, as Wise Bear William is affectionately and respectfully called by his toy friends, exemplifies modesty, consideration, and wisdom – traits not likely to be found in any virtual captain on the mean streets of “Call of Duty”.

So this role model of kindness and generosity, even though he’s a talking stuffed bear, is more relevant to our real lives than the modern computer graphic images.

Reading Wooten’s lyrical dialogue and feasting on Santora’s heart-warming illustrations is an ennobling experience for the child in all of us. It’s not much of a stretch to assume that those with whom we come into contact in our homes and communities will appreciate our absorbing the lessons from “Wise Bear William” more than our emulating the polarized good/bad dichotomy and unmitigated aggression of the “Call of Duty” world.

I’ll hazard a wild guess that “Call of Duty” will sell more copies than “Wise Bear William”. Unfortunately.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wise Bear William.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Orsolya (new)

Orsolya Great review and reference to the terrible video games in the marketplace today.