Mary Moore's Reviews > Ringing True

Ringing True by Robert  Morrow

Jan 07, 12

Read from December 26, 2011 to January 02, 2012

RINGING TRUE is a smart novel that also enlightens and entertains. The book is concerned with large issues -- i.e., achieving world peace through a new religion that rises above divisive theology. That part was thought-provoking, but I think the real energy comes from the cast of quirky characters, including a small circle of friends in their 20s, a villain who's fun to hate, and a beautiful and mysterious film star. I found it interesting from the beginning, but about midway through I was totally hooked ... and often laughing. RINGING TRUE isn't a comedy, but it contains plenty of humor. ("You know damn well that once you hit thirty, you're fucking dead in this country. Dead!")

Author Robert Morrow clearly has a brilliant mind. He's also a strong writer, very clear and adept with language, though I have some quibbles. Occasionally there is over-writing that slows down the story and spoon-feeds the reader information instead of trusting us to follow along. Example: "Suspending self-flagellation for the moment, Justin [the main character] moved on to contemplate the apparent intrigue that seemed to be infesting Ringing True, Inc." When these kind of "stage directions" pop up, they give this contemporary and hip book an oddly old-fashioned tone. But this truly is a quibble ... RINGING TRUE is an original and memorable novel that can't easily be classified, but it rises far above all the formulaic fiction that crowds the market. Of special interest to readers who do marketing as a profession, since the creation of a sophisticated marketing strategy is a central part of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ringing True.