Paul's Reviews > The Poems and Prose Poems of Charles Baudelaire with an Introductory Preface by James Huneker

The Poems and Prose Poems of Charles Baudelaire with an Intro... by Charles Baudelaire

Dec 26, 11

Read in December, 2011

I wanted to read a bit of Baudelaire’s work because of the references in Huysmans’ À rebours comparing him to Poe.

I was disappointed. I’m sure much was literally “lost in translation” but I found very few similarities in their works. While Baudelaire explores some morose themes, like his love of a skeleton in his poem “The Dance of Death,” his writing lacks the same soporific or hypnotic effect of Poe. The translation I read offered terribly broken pentameter and poor typesetting which didn’t help matters. If I was able to read in the native French, I’m sure the nuances of the language would allow me to make a more fair comparison.

I did enjoy some of his prose poetry. “The Shooting Range and the Cemetery” offered an interesting juxtaposition between glorifying a means of death within reach of a final resting place. This fact wasn’t lost on those trying to rest!

Overall, I’m sure he’s a fine poet. In the future, I may read some reviews to try and locate a better translation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poems and Prose Poems of Charles Baudelaire with an Introductory Preface by James Huneker.