Sandie's Reviews > The Baker's Wife

1331967
Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011-books, contemporary-lit, christian-lit, thrillers-and-mystery
Read in December, 2011

The BAKERS WIFE by Erin Healy was not at all what I was expecting. While it was a suspense/thriller it also falls into the Christian Lit genre. The fact of the matter is that the Christianity aspect is not only germane to the plot it is an integral part of it as are the subjects of pain, loneliness, guilt, and sanctimony.

All of women in this story, Miralee, Diane, Julie and Audrey have spent the better part of their lives running away from the emotional traumas of pain and guilt. Audrey, the central character in this novel is probably best described as an empath. She can sense the feelings of others and in some cases actually experience their physical pain. She is also a woman whose family has been brought to the brink of disaster by an unexpected scandal that changed the direction of their lives, but not its purpose. Once again Audrey's faith as well as her empathetic gift are being tested by unforeseen circumstances .......an early morning accident....an accident that has produced mangled steel, plenty of blood, a lot of suspicion, but no accident victim. Are the accident and the events that follow yet another test of faith for Audrey and her family?

Throughout THE BAKER"S WIFE we are offered examples of the different temper, language and introspection of "believers" and "non-believers" ranging from those that proudly justify themselves to those that humbly condemn themselves plus their personal views of their different standing before God. All of the various characters appearing in this book will evoke some sort of emotional response in the reader not to mention a bit of personal contemplative reflection.

While Christian lit is not my genre of choice, I must say that THE BAKER'S WIFE still managed to keep me engaged until the last page.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baker's Wife.