Kim's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: have
Read in June, 2012

** spoiler alert ** At first, I thought I wouldn't enjoy this book in the end. By the middle, I felt I knew exactly what would happen and it was sort of predictable. I guess I was proven wrong. Especially within the last three or so chapters (including the epilogue), I felt completely turned on my head as to where this series is heading. For this reason alone, I know I will pick up the second book so I can find answers to questions that were left unanswered and, in my opinion, wonderfully so. It was a nice balance of leaving it out to get us hooked but not so much that I felt cheated.

Though I enjoyed the plot, I felt the author's writing and characterization read like an amateur. I didn't connect with the main character, Thomas, and noticed that he was either confused or frustrated or both. This might be something (I hope) that is fixed in the following novels as Thomas could be a great lead character but tips the border between a nicely flawed, relatable MC and where his self-pity turns him into an archetypal hero. The characters that Thomas didn't like, I was intrigued by the most, especially Alby and Newt. Though I was sad about Chuck's death in the end, I didn't particularly enjoy him as a character. His personality felt forced and Thomas' friendship with him, even more so. It made ME annoyed because I felt like I was being forced to like Chuck. I am on the fence about Minho and Teresa but have high hopes for them.

The descriptions of the Glade and the Maze seemed inadequate. As a YA novel, it may not be noticeable, but I felt like so much more could have been done in regards to really setting the mood for this awful paradise.

I have hopes that the author has grown in his writing style and continues to flesh out his characters in the following styles. I will be picking up the next book as soon as possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.