Keren Threlfall's Reviews > Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches

Adopted for Life by Russell D. Moore

Dec 30, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reading
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I always marvel at the way my reading is often connected in themes. I began going through this book while still working through Generous Justice: How God's Grace Makes Us Just, and was thankful for how the two books intersected in topics. The most valuable aspect of this book to me was picture it painted of who we are in Christ now that we are sons of God, and who I was before: helpless, orphaned, outside of the family of God.

Some parts of this book seem to biblicize the Moore family’s personal choices in various things they did when adopting their two sons from Russia (such as renaming them with American names, not teaching them their original culture or language, preferring adoptions of babies/young children, and their particular method of discipline), and then use proof-texting to tie it to Scripture. Others were just assumed to be Biblical. This seems to be misleading, at best. In other areas, Moore is very clear to state that something they did was simply their choice, and that many others would and should do things differently.

The book is not so much a how-to on adoption as it is a picture of what Moore believes adoption to be and parallels the Gospel of our adoption in Christ to the picture of earthly adoption. (Though it is not the position of theological adoption that I had previously been taught, it was nonetheless helpful to see it in this light.) Moore also repeatedly emphasizes God’s heart for the vulnerable, particularly the orphans. In addition, it is a sort of memoir of his own family’s adoptions. He walks through the various aspects of their own adoption of sons, their period of infertility, the adding of their two biological sons, and the various trials they endured through these times. The book is both theological and anecdotal in nature, perhaps leaning more towards the latter.

I do wish that this work would have addressed other ways to “care for the orphans,” but then again, the book was on adoption specifically, as the title claims. Adoption is one of many ways of "caring for the orphan" in today's American culture, and perhaps one of the more glamorized ways to do so. Our desire is to eventually minister to the orphan through adoption or foster care, so in this respect it was a helpful book for us to read. Overall, it is likely a good book for any Christian unfamiliar with observing an adoption up-close, but who must also be willing to read with discernment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adopted for Life.