Sandra Stiles's Reviews > What So Proudly We Hailed

What So Proudly We Hailed by James Howard

Dec 26, 2011

bookshelves: christian, adult, realistic-fiction
Read in December, 2011

How prepared are we in the United States if the Unthinkable happens? A couple of years ago I gave my seventh and eighth grade students a writing assignment. Something has happened to the world. There is no longer any electricity. I had the climate switch as well. The north got hot and the south cold. I asked them how they would survive and how they think people around the world would handle it. It was an interesting concept and way to get students to think and problem solve. This book does the same thing. From the minute Jason Ribault figures out that a nuclear device has gone off in America he sets in motion a plan to protect his family. He, his wife Valerie, and their children stock up on necessary items and prepare their boat for the chaos they know will soon follow. They leave their son Jeremy behind with his girlfriend and her father who is a pastor. They leave on their boat and monitor the chaos form it. They determine that things are only getting worse. This is not just a post-apocalyptic story. It is also a message of hope. I thoroughly enjoyed the Christian message that is so engrained in the story. I know that there will be both Christians and Non-Christians who will feel it is too preachy. I am not one of them. I think this is a book that should be read by all. It is a great book with a great message and I look forward to reading what ever else the author comes out with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What So Proudly We Hailed.