Ann's Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Dec 31, 11

Read from December 26 to 27, 2011

I sure hope I don't have to wait long for the sequel! I am not very patient, although I would love the chance to reread this before the next book comes out. I am in love with this book! I love the plot, setting, characters....absolutely everything about this book!

Aria is a teenager who lives in Reverie, an enclosed city in which "Dwellers" use an eyepiece called a Smarteye and spend their time in virtual environments, called Realms. She and her friend mistakenly trust a boy and his friend and journey with them into an area they don't want to get caught in. In order to go there, they have to shut off their smarteyes. They know it isn't safe, but they go anyway and are sure they will return before anything bad could happen.

Well, several bad things happen. And in the end, Aria is blamed for it and kicked out. She is sure she will die in the outisde world, called The Death Shop. Aria meets Perry, an outsider who knows how to survive. His nephew was taken by Aria's people and he is on his way to find him, but he needs Aria's help. Aria has to learn how to depend on him and trust that he won't hurt her....which is very difficult for her to do as the last boy she trusted did hurt her.

At first Aria and Perry pick at each other and just don't seem to get along. They both seem disgusted with each other. Aria thinks Perry is a savage, and Perry doesn't like Aria's smell. They have no concern for each other's feelings. Perry makes it clear that he is using Aria to find his nephew, but that is it. Otherwise, he doesn't want anything to do with her. I think they were both taught to dislike each other's kind and that was all they knew at this point. As they continue on their journey, they begin to fall in love. They both seem to know that it won't last because Aria belongs on the inside while Perry belongs on the outside.

I love the whole idea of this pod Aria and other Dwellers live in. What made them decide to create it? What is it about this pod that makes them now unable to survive on the outside? I have so many questions because this is such a different concept to me! It is definitely different than other dystopian novels. These smarteyes are quite interesting also. Everything is virtual. All it takes is the thought of moving their body, and their body moves. It kind of makes me think they are all lazy, but I suppose it saves a lot of space! The pod really doesn't have to be very big if they can do everything virtually.

I loved seeing Aria grow from this naive girl with no clue how to survive in this new world, to a strong, brave, independent woman. She never got overly upset with Perry's comments either. It really didn't take her long to adapt to this new world and do what is needed to survive. Not once did she give up or lay down to die.

Perry seems so angry and careless about anyone but himself at the beginning. It didn't take him long to give up the act though. I think even if he didn't act that way, Aria would have helped him. Perry has lived on the outside his whole life, and he knows how to survive. He is strong and is an excellent archer. He acts tough, but he is really a sweet tender guy.

This book releases next week on January 3rd. I know that I am not the only person who has absolutely loved this book, so do yourself a favor and go pick up this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.

12/27/2011 page 155