Zuleeza's Reviews > Angelfall

bookshelves: favourite
Recommended to Zuleeza by: Larissa, Cait
Recommended for: 15 years of age and above
Read from December 25 to 26, 2011

This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

The 99 cent I spent on this book was the best 99 cent I ever spent.

The reviewers I followed, Cait and Larissa (thanks to both of you ^_^) generously gave five stars for this book, and I thought, sure this is good but it can't be THAT good, right?

Turned out, it can.

description

Yup, this book came out of nowhere, and it just blew my mind away. THIS BOOK DESERVES MORE ATTENTION PEOPLE!

The Cover:
At first glance, I wouldn't give this book a second thought but on closer inspection, I think it's a pretty decent cover, the colour combination simmers in an eerie way that pretty much resembles the end of days.

The Plot:
I honestly wish I could finish this book in one sitting but I started reading on 9 pm, so by the time it was 12 am, I regretfully had to put my tablet down or else I might not wake up to pick up my friend from the airport.

So, based on the first good 200 pages I read in the first sitting, the plot was awesome! (for the lack of better adjective). I found my heart racing most of the time, sometimes spooked (the low demons were really frightening and so did Penryn mom), sometimes hyperventilating (the fight and action scenes sounded very dramatic). Susan Ee has the gift of interjecting just the right amount of everything in her story, just the right amount of background story, just the right amount of emotions, just the right amount of descriptions.

From the second sitting, the rest of the book started to leave out few motives and information (obviously, saving for the sequels, which is not a bad thing) so I felt the story losing a few ounce of 'kicks', but then the gap between the first and second sitting was almost 18 hours, so probably that explains why.

The characters:
I'll being completely honest here. I WANT PENRYN'S BRAIN!!! Not because I'm a zombie but because she easily is the smartest lead female character in YA books. Her inner voice is very strong, she always weigh her options well before taking any action and yes she does it naturally. That's a real talent, to posses an ability to make the right decision albeit the dire of the situations she faced. I like the fact that she sounded selfish but actually she was just being practical. She was not trying to save the world in any way, just to claim her sister back. Her love-hate relationship with her mother was very moving too. Maybe the only area which Penryn has to improve is to come up with good comebacks.

Raffe is definitely not the usual 'Hey, I'm attracted to you, but I'm too dangerous for you, we can't be together so I'll stalk you. Oh no! You attracted to me too, so I must stay away from you. Then, I regret it, I must do anything to get you back'.

Nope.

He was basically stuck with Penryn, having a goal of his own. He put enough respect and trust on Penryn fighting skill so Penryn is not a girl who needed to be saved everytime.

Final words:
I would recommend this book to teens at least 15 years of age. There were some serious gore and theology discussion throughout this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

Quotes Zuleeza Liked

Susan Ee
“Here, I’ll show you how to use it. Let me see your foot.”
“That’s a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet.”

Susan Ee
“I never kid about my warrior demigod status."
"Oh. My. God." I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. "You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”

Susan Ee
“The next time you have a quarrel with me, I'd appreciate it if you could just talk to me first before resorting to pelting me with rocks.”

Susan Ee
“So long as you don't bleed in the shape of wing joints, you should pass for human. Oh, and don't let anyone pick you up. They'll know you're not right as soon as they feel how light you are."

"I'll be sure not to let anyone but you carry me in her arms.”
Susan Ee, Angelfall

Larissa :) haha, awesome review!! How awesome was it!?!?! haha I did think they were 5 generous stars well given, glad you thought so too! :)

Lauren I was thinking you'd like this. And you've already read it! Awesome book. Penryn reminded me a bit of Allie in The Immortal Rules too. Have you read that one?

Zuleeza Lauren wrote: "I was thinking you'd like this. And you've already read it! Awesome book. Penryn reminded me a bit of Allie in The Immortal Rules too. Have you read that one?"

I haven't read The Immortal Rules yet. Still queuing for it from the library. I'm not sure if it's worth buying since many thought that it wasn't as good as The Iron Fey books. Hoping to get my hands around it soon! ^_^

Lauren I'm not sure if it's worth buying since many thought that it wasn't as good as The Iron Fey books.

I get almost all of my books at the library and only buy if I love it! But I hadn't heard that people weren't liking Immortal Rules as much. The books are different from Iron Fey, but I think it is hard to compare a fully released series to only the first book in another series.

Zuleeza Lauren wrote: "I'm not sure if it's worth buying since many thought that it wasn't as good as The Iron Fey books.

Ah, 'not as good' in The Immortal Rules context is 3.5 to 4 stars compared to 5 stars for The Iron King XD It's Julie Kagawa we're talking about here after all :D

I was looking for For Darkness Show The Stars but my library still doesn't have it yet too :( want to get the kindle version but it's too expensive @.@ (for me at least..hehe)

Lauren Ok. I see what you're saying about review. IR is higher rated on Goodreads right now. But it has far less reviewers. In any case, I will look forward to what you think when you read it.

Sorry your library hasn't gotten For Darkness Shows the Stars yet. This happens to me a lot too. I just obsessively keep checking until they get what I want. Do books release in Australia at the same time that they do in the US? I know we don't always get your fabulous author's books at the same time.

Zuleeza Hmm...maybe because I live in a relatively small city in Australia, I find it hard to get new released titles from the bookstores here. But Fifty Shades books are literally everywhere *sigh* WWhhhyyyyy???!!

But yeah, I heard so many good things about Australian authors, but I have yet to read enough of theirs! :D

Lauren Ha. Those books are all over the place here as well. Ugh. And you MUST check out Aussie authors! I can't believe that you haven't read a lot of them!

Zuleeza Hehe...I haven't live in Australia long enough after all. I tried The Book Thief once but I always having trouble reading books with war theme so it ended up as DNF. It just I don't know...unpleasant?

I've read Shift and Marrying Ameera but again, I had trouble to tune in with the stories.

But I definitely will check out Finnick of the Rock and Eon very, very soon! ^_^

Lauren Well I haven't read either of the ones you have - except The Book Thief, which I adored. But I'm a bit obsessed with Melina Marchetta and LOVED Finnikin (and everything else she's written). Heard good things about Eon, too.

Zuleeza LOL. Just realized the typo! Finnick???!! That must've came from Finnick Odair, The Hunger Games :DDD