Daniel's Reviews > Ancestor

Ancestor by Scott Sigler

Dec 26, 11

Read from December 26 to 27, 2011

I like a good monster story that is backed up by a scientific origin: the experimentation and theory make for interesting reading before yielding the invariably ravenous result upon the poor scientists and support crew. Here, Sigler throws in some passages about DNA and animal-cloning and xenotransplating and species-jumping viruses, going into just enough detail to give his story just enough technical background. All of the high-tech gadgetry surrounding the laboratory and the armament of the accompanying mercenaries also add some gee-wizardry to the proceedings.

Really, though, monsters were my main requirement in this book, and Sigler delivers a decent one in "Ancestor." I was disappointed that he revealed their nature early on through various autopsy scenes in the middle of the book; I'd rather that the scientists get more of a surprise at a later stage in the game, when the claws are out and it's too late to question past actions. That criticism aside, Sigler does let his creations lose in the story to run amok and kill willy-nilly. He also throws in monsters of the psychotic homo sapiens variety for villainous color and an ire-inducing outlet.

"Ancestor" is a good romp through science monster-tale land. Others have made the comparison to Crichton's JP, and I can't help but see it, too. If you dug the velociraptors wreaking havoc on a tropical island, you will dig the ancestors wreaking same on a wintry rock.

* * * *

On a different note: this is the third, full-length novel that I've read on the Kindle, and I'm surprised by how easy it is to immerse myself in the screen with the same concentration that I bring to the printed page. Normally, I'd pick up a book like this in print, but Amazon waved it under my nose with a 99 cent price tag, and I was too weak-willed to resist. Print will always rule; that said, count me in with eBooks on ergonomic, reading-friendly eReaders.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ancestor.

12/26/2011
28.0% "I found this on amazon going for 99 cents in the Kindle edition, and though I prefer print, I couldn't pass up the chance to get to this sooner. This is fun and fast-paced. I may try to marathon it today."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I love my Kindle, too. I was dubious about ereaders at first, but e-ink really is as comfortable to read as a printed page.