John Egbert's Reviews > Imaginary Girls

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

** spoiler alert ** Oh, Imaginary Girls. What can I say?

description

The blurb/summary/whatever of the book says, Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, and never in my life have I read a more truthful description. Because that's all Chloe does. She flirts with it. (view spoiler)

Anyway, despite my four star rating I found quite a lot of problems with this book. One of which being Owen. His entire portion of the story felt rushed. Okay, we have like three hints that Chloe has/had a crush on him. Then, BAYUM, Chloe's all,

description

She gets so attached that when Ruby tells her Owen's bad news, she outright defies her and goes to have an implied sex scene with him! *GASP*!

And all the while I'm sitting here like,

description
Did I skip ten pages or something?

I mean, it wasn't THAT bad, it was just kinda weird.

And it only gets weirder when Owen turns out to be kind of an asshole about twenty to thirty pages after this encounter. HUH?!

And then there's the whole "Ruby /technically/ breaking Owen's legs" thing. But if I got into that now we'd be here all day.

It all happened so fast!

I mean, I like that we didn't linger on the romance so much that it took over the story, but not giving it enough attention is just as bad.

Okay, I take it back, it's not just as bad.

But still.

Moving on, I was also a bit confused to as how Ruby was controlling the town tied in with Olive and the people in the reservoir. I mean, yeah I got that she sacrificed London for Chloe's sake and I got that they weren't happy about being tricked and -- actually I didn't get that part at all. I'm usually pretty good at filling in the blanks, but all this time I was confused to as where the supernatural powers were coming from. Was it the people in the reservoir controlling things, or was it Ruby? Did the people in the reservoir give Ruby the power? Am I supposed to be this confused?

description

I suppose I can just chalk it up to miracles...? (view spoiler) But I'd rather not. So I guess I'll remain confused...

Anyway, I suppose I've whined enough about the things I don't like, so I'll move on to the things I do.

First of the relationship between Chloe and Ruby was possibly one of the best sibling relationships I've read in like, forever. It's up there next to Kira Kira, one of my all time favorites. Their dynamic was brilliant.

In fact, let me just go and say that I loved the character of Ruby. Chloe, I felt, was a little flat. But the way she interacted with other people and her perspective on Ruby was enough to keep me satisfied.

(view spoiler)

It's hard for me to explain what I liked about this book enough to rate it four stars despite all of my complaints. Ruby? The tone? I don't know. And I don't think I'll ever truly know.

But there's one last thing I need to talk about before the close of this review.

The. Ending.

The worst part is that I can't decide if I like it or not. The glaring revelation I've come to, however, is that (like the force behind Ruby's power over the town) I don't understand any of it.

I'm serious. There is not a single thing within the last fifteen pages that I understood. (view spoiler) Maybe I should reread it. Maybe I should ask for someone to explain it to me. Never the less, that was the most confusing ending I have ever read in my entire life.

And yet...*gazes up at four star rating*

Oh, Imaginary Girls. What can I say?

I stumbled through this book mostly confused and came out dazzled.

No, not in the Edward Cullen way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imaginary Girls.

12/29/2011 page 156
45.0% "I've been reading this all day, almost physically unable to stop reading." 11 comments
04/06/2012 page 280
80.0% "YESSS! Finally I'm finally continuing this! And it's getting better as it goes along. Confusing, but better."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by DivineMuse (new)

DivineMuse Is it good? Please tell me theres some good YA out there, still.

message 2: by KJ Shadows (new)

KJ Shadows Hmmm interesting going to read up on this one love the cover!

message 3: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa oooooooohhhh pweeeetty!... but is it any good?

John Egbert It is good, very good in fact. For some dumb reason I got cut off in the middle of it and haven't gotten the chance to pick it back up ever since. I'll probably finish it soon, though, because the part I left off at was quite interesting.

John Egbert Cillian wrote: "Sheez Louise, Carty! I'm going to start thinking GR has a point about recommending you Walmart's coupons.
Finish the damn book already!"

Oh my God, you're right. A big fat meanie, but right. ARGH WHAT IS IT WITH MY READING EQUIVALENT OF CONSTIPATION LATELY?

John Egbert Cillian wrote: "Only you would associate constipation with reading.
Eat more fiber and read the damn book!"

That didn't sound very affectionate, Cillian, dearest! D:

But I will eat more fiber, humph! And yeah I'll finish the book, too. SO THERE.

John Egbert That's not even the point -- hey, wait a minute, I never said you could call me Carty!