Candice T's Reviews > Galápagos

Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

2038339
Dec 26, 2011

Read in December, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This was my book club's December read and no one liked it! Except for me, of course, because I thought the narration was unique and very well done. Usually, an omniscient narrator doesn't need to explain how he can read every mind and see events unfolding from different viewpoints. But I thought that it was clever not only that ghost lore was added, but that his circumstances compelled him to "write" about what he was forced to watch for a million years.
Obviously, the story of how the world consumed itself through war was not nearly as interesting as how humans evolved to survive the world-wide holocaust.
Through a disjointed timeline, the author slowly reveals his past and cleverly brings us up to speed on how one man and six women end up being the saviors of the whole human race... and how easily they devolved the species in a mere million years.
Littered with dark humor and poignant observational sarcasm, this sad tale made me smile once in a while and marvel at a brilliant narration style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galápagos.