Jennifer's Reviews > I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home: How One Woman Dared to Say No to Motherhood

I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home by Lisa Manterfield

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: to-read-2012, land-of-if, favorites
Read from January 11 to 12, 2012

This was a really excellently written, intelligent and heart-felt book. It was so good I couldn't put it down -- I stayed up late and finished it in one day.

We haven't yet traveled as far down the IF path as the author (we're going to start testing in the next couple months), but all of the content leading up to the author's IF testing rang true and familiar to me (I'm pretty sure I recognized the website she talks about joining, having used it myself for a year and a half), and I found myself welcoming this wonderful lady into my heart as she lets us into hers.

It was also refreshing and validating to discover there are women like myself out there -- women who are opposed to the drugs of IVF. I've never responded well to artificial hormones (ie all the many types of hormonal BC I've tried have made me a crazy-woman or made me very ill), and ever since I started thinking about what we would do if we had trouble conceiving naturally, I've been resistant to the idea of IVF and putting myself through all of that. It was good to see that I'm not alone in having reservations about this type of medical treatment.

For my own well-being, I've been working on embracing a future without children in it, because I know how uncertain the IF and adoption/fostering journeys are. Reading this book was, again, refreshing and validating. It was also helpful and informative -- I've been dreading the pain and intrusiveness of IF testing, and reading about Lisa's experiences was informative and helped me prepare myself for what is to come. It also reaffirms my desire to always put my relationship with my husband first, to not lose touch with each other through this difficult journey, and waste years of our precious time on this Earth together.

I think I'll suggest that my husband read this too. Although he doesn't talk about it much, I know it's been hard on him too.

The cherry on top, is the website/support group the author has started and tells us about at the very end of the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home.