Victoria's Reviews > The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Feb 28, 14

Read from December 26, 2011 to January 16, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Ugh. Serious, ugh! Soooo, if Stieg Larsson were still alive I probably would hold back my true feelings about this book - and really that's the true tragedy, because this could have and SHOULD have been an AHmazing thriller, but it was so heavily bogged down with detail, unnecessary dialogue, clunky point of view swaps, weird red herrings that made no sense and seemed ridiculous - in other words, WAY too much minutia - that I became thoroughly irritated throughout most of the slow slog through it.

This puppy needed a SERIOUS edit. And with said serious edit, it could have been brilliant. The two main characters, Blomkovist and Salander are so appealing and intriguing, but they get lost in the marsh of Larsson's overly-packed cast of characters. If only Stieg had lived long enough to have the helpful guidance of a professional editor to sweep away all the unnecessary bits...such a shame.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Played with Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Deborah I am surprised. I found it very enjoyable and fast moving, despite the added details. Perhaps the Swedish translation renders something different? I guess this means you won't be going on to #3. I was sad to find out he had died and there would be no more books. The device that annoys me is Conan Doyle's suddenly solving the crime with information not shared with the reader. I cry foul! Thank goodness you don't do that with your lovely reads!