Kat Kiddles's Reviews > Unleashing the Ideavirus: Stop Marketing AT People! Turn Your Ideas into Epidemics by Helping Your Customers Do the Marketing thing for You.

Unleashing the Ideavirus by Seth Godin

Dec 26, 11

Read in November, 2011

One of the strategies that Godin believes will create and support an ideavirus is persistence. At one point, he instructs the reader to ‘[m]ake as many supporting manifestos available as possible, in whatever forms necessary, to turn consumers from skeptics into converts.’ (p.63)

I think that strategy might have backfired on him with this reader (that would be me). I read his manifesto in Fast Company before starting the book, and I think it ruined the book for me. Spoiler alert: the manifesto is a point-by-point summary of the book, even citing the same examples as the ones you’ll find in the book. Who would benefit from reading the manifesto before the book? Someone with really short-term memory.

Sorry, Seth. Originality trumps persistence in my world. Then again, you’re getting free publicity from me, so maybe you’ve won after all.

See the whole write-up of the review at http://www.uncustomarybookreview.com/....

Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unleashing the Ideavirus.

Quotes Kat Liked

Seth Godin
“One of the talents of the [late] great Steve Jobs is that he [knew] how to design Medusa-like products. While every Macintosh model has had flaws (some more than others), most of them have has a sexiness and a design sensibility that has turned many consumers into instant converts. Macintosh owners upgrade far more often than most computer users for precisely this reason.” (p.98)”
Seth Godin, Unleashing the Ideavirus: Stop Marketing AT People! Turn Your Ideas into Epidemics by Helping Your Customers Do the Marketing thing for You.