Karen's Reviews > Addie on the Inside

Addie on the Inside by James Howe

2056693
Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: bullying, friendship, multicultural, realistic-fiction, books-in-verse
Read in December, 2011

I liked the message about staying true to yourself which this companion book to The Misfits promotes, but I did find the story itself a little disappointing. It's a quick read (told in free verse) about a very smart, rather brash, nonconformist 7th grade girl who speaks her mind, but is ostracized for doing so. I thought it lacked some depth and I agree with another Goodreads reviewer who commented that James Howe tried to fit too many issues into one short book (bullying, homophobia, suicide, interracial relationships, popular girls, friendship issues, etc.). However, I did like the fact that this book (like Totally Joe) addresses gender issues and alternative lifestyles in a very matter-of-fact, readable way for middle school students. At one point in the story, Addie (normally very verbal) chooses to participate in the GLSEN Day of Silence -- I very much liked the awareness she gained about all the quiet, withdrawn students she never noticed before. A good choice for middle school girls who feel they don't fit into the "popular" culture for one reason or another.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Addie on the Inside.