Jennifer's Reviews > A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Dec 26, 11

** spoiler alert ** Let me tell you what I didn't like:

- enough with killing off all the characters I come to invest in. Some of them need to make it out alive (And I mean alive as in really alive!). Some of them need to win. You cannot always maim and hurt and kill, dear author. You will say that you can but I answer: you piss me off with it. Granted, the world you create is a cruel one. But even in a cruel world, people occasionally succeed and experience moments of happiness... and they aren't always the evil ones because it makes the good ones look incompetent and stupid and this lets the evil ones lose some of their cleverness and you see where I am going with this? Plans work out and not only for the antagonists. Maybe I am rooting for the wrong team, but you are to blame for that as well since you made me be on team Stark in the first novel. Now you cannot switch me around. I'm a faithful reader.

- Sansa. Sansa pisses me off to no extent...that is because I think the author fails her. Nobody goes through whatever she has gone through unchanged. And yet, miraculously, Sansa manages to remain this naive girl without backbone. Grow some balls, girl. Or maybe, if the author would actually be on those character's side that he has originally established as the protagonists, Sansa and Arya might meet and then some of Arya might rub off on her little sister?

- the pace. It is way too slow. I know, sooner or later, Arya and her wolf will meet up or she wouldn't have wolf dreams. Do I have to wait until book 12762?

- I wonder why I should bother reading the next volume. I know I will, but... I expect the remaining characters that I care for (the Hound, Tyrion, Arya, Jon, Ghost) will probably be maimed and killed in it anyway.

What I would like to say is... I see the work that went into it, I also see the typos in the print (yes, I know it is tough work but there is a difference between "Catelyn opened the windows" and "Catelyn opened the widows"... I can even remember that one), and I hope that it won't stay as hopelessly grim and depressing. The bad guys cannot win (and they can be as clever and as layered as they are...they are still the antagonist), the originally established protagonists must have some success as well. Throw them a bone. Throw me a bone but one you don't snatch away when my fingers are already brushing it. Because it isn't good story-telling when it is the only thing you do. We got it: everyone can die. Fine, sing me a new tune, maybe the one that is called "some of them can survive".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.