Shari Larsen's Reviews > Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise

Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise by Joyce Magnin

Dec 27, 11

Read from December 25 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy

Newly widowed Charlotte Figg purchases double wide trailer, sight unseen, in the Paradise Trailer Park. The trailer is not what she expected though, it's run down and needs a lot of repairs, and was nothing like the picture in the ad, but she is stuck with it. She meets her neighbors, a quirky set of characters but they help her to get settled in Paradise and become her closest friends. When her new friend Rose finds out she was a former softball champ, she persuades Charlotte to start a ladies softball team for the women of Paradise.

There is a lot of humor in this book, but it deals with serious issues as well, including domestic abuse. In dealing with her new friends and their problems, Charlotte goes from being a frumpy housewife to a woman with courage and strength. The author's writing style reminds me a lot of Fannie Flagg's; and if you enjoy her books, you will like this author too. This book has real heart, and I liked how the author was able to show the sense of humor some of the characters had of their physical disabilities, without making fun of them. I am also drawn to stories about people who are considered to be "outsiders", because I have often felt like an outsider myself throughout my life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa Mcginnis You are absolutely right about the humor her disables characters have. It is a very refreshing venture from the politically correct tiptoeing-about or the overly militant views we get in society. I'm not saying meanness is ok, but being disabled myself (visually impaired), I know that I can laugh at myself often, and do. God and I both have a sense of humor, and that's ok. ;)