Barbara Skuplik's Reviews > Never the Hope Itself: Love and Ghosts in Latin America and Haiti

Never the Hope Itself by Gerry Hadden

Dec 26, 2011

bookshelves: culture, developement, foreign-affairs, foreign-aid, globalization, historical, non-fiction, political, politics, social-science, world
Read from December 27, 2011 to January 08, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. So often South America has been neglected in the news/media, often overshadowed by the plight and atrocities happening in the Middle East, Balkans, and Africa. Gerry Hadden writes a beautiful, raw, honest, and unbiased recollection of his time covering the elections in Haiti, his time in Mexico, and reporting for NPR all over Latin America. I appreciate the honestly with which he wrote this book, and the detail with which he described certain life events, his thoughts and feelings, and some of the characters. Once I got into the book, I really had a hard time wanting to put it down. I hope he writes many more books in the future. I appreciate the pictures (although not enough!) he added as an insert in the middle of the book. I wish he had included more! I highly recommend this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never the Hope Itself.