Jenni's Reviews > Meatless Meals for Working People: Quick and Easy Vegetarian Recipes

Meatless Meals for Working People by Debra Wasserman

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: food-and-drink
Read in December, 2011

What sets this book apart from other veg*n cookbooks is a chapter discussing food options for the herbivore-minded at fast food restaurants, likely in case of emergencies or road trips. The detailed information on food items at such national chains shows that the authors did their homework. I liked the suggested meal plans for males and females in certain age ranges because coming up with what to eat and finding some variety can sometimes be the hardest part of maintaining a healthy diet. The recipes are simple and easy to follow; I can't imagine anyone having a complaint about them. Some pictures would easily send this cookbook into the five-star category!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meatless Meals for Working People.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gretchen (new) - added it

Gretchen is this book for vegans or more lacto-ovo vegetarians?

Jenni Gretchen wrote: "is this book for vegans or more lacto-ovo vegetarians?"

It includes information for both in the fast food section, with separate paragraphs clarifying what is available on the menu for lacto-ovos and what is available for vegans. The recipes are written vegan (referencing soy milk instead of just 'milk,' for example), but much like vegans 'veganize' recipes all the time, lacto-ovos could easily 'lacto-ovonize' the recipes. How hard is it to add cheese to everything? The book also references a lot of name-brand products that I recognize as being vegan, but again, even omnis can eat a vegan product. I would say the authors clearly know the difference between a lacto-ovo and a vegan, but the book appears to be more from the school of thought that "vegetarian" should encompass the meaning/practice that "vegan" actually does. It's old-school vegetarian, if you will. As the title indicates, the book is "for working people." :)

message 3: by Gretchen (new) - added it

Gretchen Thanks so much I will check this book out!