Trish's Reviews > Honeymoon with My Brother: A Memoir

Honeymoon with My Brother by Franz Wisner

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read on December 26, 2011

I started this book without any commitment to finish it, but ended up being so interested, I sat down and finished it within two days. Since being abroad, I really enjoy reading other peoples views on travel, I think it helps me rekindle my love at times when it's lacking.

I enjoyed his Europe, Asia and S.America trips, maybe because I'm less involved with those regions, so I had no biases against them. While he admits by the time he traveled to Africa he was living the high-life of travel writing, it meant his view of Africa was similar to everyone else's: a view from inside a private car. The only time I enjoyed his Africa trip was when he got out of the fancy areas and took a public bus. That made me happy. Whatever my problems with the Africa section, I enjoyed this quote:

"Africa seemed like a graduate degree for travel, a place where you'd go only after extensive practice in other countries. Hard-core travelers we had met described Africa as the ultimate high. If travel was a drug, they said, Africa is heroin" (235).

While I don't think I had "extensive practice" I agree with this quote. I can't wait to travel elsewhere and see how it really compares.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honeymoon with My Brother.