Sue's Reviews > The Summer House. Marcia Willett

The Summer House. Marcia Willett by Marcia Willett

Mar 23, 12

bookshelves: fiction, read-2012
Read from March 13 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy

Matt, who has written a best-selling novel, is plagued with insecurities and often feels disorientated. His sister Imogen is not entirely happy in her marriage, and their friend Nick is decidedly unhappy with his. Nick's father Milo wants to sell a small house he has been renting out, and would like it to remain with one of his loved ones...

There are a lot of sub-plots and a large cast in this book, and it took me a while to sort them all out. It's written in Marcia Willett's usual warm style, with secrets and misunderstandings from the past affecting different people in different ways. I wasn't at all sure where it was going, at first, and had a bit of trouble sorting out who was whom; but gradually I felt drawn in. I was particularly keen on Lottie, Nick's aunt, who was a gentle, intuitive presence throughout the book.

The gradual uncovering of Matt's past made sense - I'd guessed at some of it already - and although in places there was a bit too much introspection for my tastes, it was overall a pleasant, heartwarming read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer House. Marcia Willett.