Jerelyn's Reviews > A Breach of Promise

Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: new-author-to-watch
Read from December 26, 2011 to January 01, 2012

A Breach of Promise by Victoria Vane

Erotica isn’t my normal cup of tea; but if this novella is a sign of things to come I will be reading more of it. I am learning things from some of the authors I have interviewed, one of those being Emery Lee who also writes as Victoria Vane. We have talked and shared quite a bit since I interviewed her. So please read this review in that spirit. I was acknowledged in this book and that is kindness itself, because I just think she has real talent and told her so and offered her some small encouragement and made her laugh.

So here we go… I knew I would like A Breach Of Promise as I have said Victoria writes a great story. This one is of young love and expectations and how different they can be. In the opening we see Lydia getting ready for her betrothal dinner her intended is the dashing Marcus Russell. They are both young and so Marcus is in no hurry to wed especially since he has just landed his dream job as the undersecretary to Lord Carteret at The Hague. Surely they can put off the wedding for while Lydia is only 17 after all. But forever the rake on the make Marcus can’t resist a dalliance with his pretty betrothed.

6 years later Marcus is back from Europe only to find that Lydia wants to end their betrothal, Marcus is having none of this, and finally goes to see the girl he has left waiting all this time, only to find “Venus Rising” amongst other things. He realizes he will have to woo her, win her, seduce and even ruin her if he has to. The dialogue is witty and the stage beautifully set. Thank-you Victoria for a laugh out loud little romp of a book.

Also a personal thank you for the gift book and acknowledgement, is was so generous and so unexpected. I can’t wait for your next projects!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Breach of Promise.